EGMONT
En
Search

Who are we ?

Overview

 

The Institute

EGMONT – The Royal Institute for International Relations is an independent think-tank based in Brussels. Its interdisciplinary research is conducted in a spirit of total academic freedom.

Drawing on the expertise of its own research fellows, as well as that of external specialists, both Belgian and foreign, it provides analysis and suggests international policy options that are meant to be as operational as possible.

Benefiting from the role acquired by Brussels in the global arena and from the prestigious setting of the Egmont Palace, the Institute offers an ideal forum to visiting Heads of State, Heads of government, representatives of international organisations, foreign ministers and other political figures.

Conferences, colloquia and seminars nurture the work of the research fellows. They also give participants the opportunity to exchange views with other specialists and with a well-informed public made up of representatives of the political, economic and academic spheres, the media and civil society.

Along with research and meetings, the Institute has also developed specialised training activities, both in Brussels and abroad. It can, on request, offer specific programmes for visiting and resident diplomats and foreign professionals.

Closer collaboration with other research centres, both in Belgium and in the rest of Europe and beyond, has resulted in a growing number of joint conferences and in more structured cooperation on research and publications. It has proved to be mutually beneficial and enriching.

 

 

History

EGMONT (in former days IRRI-KIIB), alternatively referred to as the Egmont Institute, was founded as the "Institut des relations internationales" in 1947 by eminent Belgian personalities, such as: Paul van Zeeland, former Prime Minister; Prof. Charles de Visscher, member of the International Court of Justice; Prof. Fernand Dehousse, member of the Belgian delegation to the Conference of San Francisco; or Prof. Henri Rolin, Senator and Barrister-at-law.

 

What in a Name?

EPThe Institute is named after the Egmont Palace, a prestigious building in the heart of Brussels, which host most of the Institute’s events. The Palace was built between 1548 and 1560 by Françoise of Luxembourg and her son, Lamoral, Count of Egmont. The property passed onto the Arenberg family. After the first World War the owner was forced to sell the building to the city of Brussels. In 1964 the Belgian state bought the property. After a long time of dilapidation and destruction, it was restored profoundly. Today, it is being used for receptions and meetings by the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Top